- ¾ cups shelled pistachios, divided
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1½ cup whole milk
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- 3 eggs + 2 yolks
- ¼+ 1/8 tsp. almond extract
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract or paste
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan bring the milk, cream and ¼ cup sugar to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, grind ½ cup of the pistachios along with ¼ c. of the sugar until fine, taking care not to make a butter. Pour into the milk mixture, and allow it to continue heating to a boil, whisking every minute or so.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolks. Temper the eggs by gradually pouring a cup or so of the hot milk/pistachio mixture in, whisking vigorously to prevent the eggs from scrambling. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream back into the saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally with a rubber spatula, until it thickens and reaches 170 degrees on a thermometer, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat pour through a mesh sieve and into a large mixing bowl. Press hard to remove any remaining liquid from the sieve, you may want to take a few minutes to get everything you can out.
- Add the almond and vanilla extract, whisk to combine. Place over an ice bath and chill until cool. Then cover with plastic wrap, pressing it against the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably over night.
- Remove from the refrigerator and pour into an ice cream machine or attachment bowl. Freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the ice cream is firm, coarsely chop the remaining ¼ cup of pistachios and fold in. Place in a freezer-safe container and chill for 3-4 hours before serving.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!