- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound medium or small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- 2 Serrano or bird chilies, or 1 large jalapeño, minced
- 1 large mango, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 to 5 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- Heat a large, heavy skillet or wok over medium-high heat, and add the canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp, salt to taste and the garlic.
- Sauté, stirring or shaking the pan, until the shrimp begins to color, about two minutes. Add the cumin, and continue to cook until the shrimp is pink and opaque, about three minutes. Add the chilies, mango and cilantro, and stir together for one minute.
- Stir in the lime juice, and remove from the heat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Wrap the tortillas in a heavy kitchen towel, and place in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover the pot, and steam for one minute. Turn off the heat, and allow to sit for 15 minutes without uncovering.
- Alternatively, wrap the tortillas in a towel, and heat in the microwave for one minute. Warm the shrimp briefly in the pan. Place 2 tortillas on each plate, top with the shrimp, fold over the tortillas and serve with rice.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!