- 12 small red or green apples (any variety)
- 12 lollipop or popsicle sticks
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Equipment: candy thermometer
- Wash and thoroughly dry the apples (See Kelly’s Notes below). Insert the lollipop sticks or popsicle sticks so that they are firmly positioned in the apples. Set the apples aside on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Bring it to a boil and cook the mixture until a candy thermometer reaches 300ºF (the hard crack stage).
- Remove the candy mixture from the heat and carefully stir in the red food coloring. (It may splash, so stand back. And you may have to add more than the designated ½ teaspoon, depending on the quality and strength of your food coloring.)
- One by one, carefully dip the apples into the candy mixture, swirling to coat them thoroughly and allowing any excess to drip back into the pan. Transfer the coated apples to the prepared cookie sheet and allow them to cool until the candy has fully hardened.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!