- 1 tbsp organic unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small leek, white part only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2–3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ lb asparagus, trimmed and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 3-inch piece turmeric root, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp lemon zest + 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter on low. Add leek and cook, stirring often to prevent butter from browning, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 2 cups broth, cauliflower, ground turmeric and ½ tsp pepper. Cover and simmer until cauliflower is soft, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to a small food processor, add all pesto ingredients. Process for 30 seconds until blended but coarse. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add asparagus to soup and cook just until tender and bright green, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer soup, in batches if necessary, to a blender and purée until very smooth, adding as much of the remaining broth as necessary to thin to desired texture. Season with ½ tsp salt.
- Divide among bowls and garnish each with Turmeric Pesto.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!