- 9 ounces cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ cup onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley for garnish optional
- Cook onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender. Add garlic, basil, and oregano and stir until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes with juices, water, broth, and sugar and use a spoon to slightly smash the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Allow sauce to simmer and thicken while cooking the tortellini, about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining olive oil.
- Cook tortellini al dente according to package directions. Drain but do not rinse.
- Gently mix cooked tortellini with prepared tomato sauce. Top with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley or basil and serve.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!