- 4 to 5 medium beets
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 cups salad greens, arugula or spring mix
- ½ shallot, thinly sliced
- ½ green apple, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 ounces goat cheese, torn
- Microgreens, optional
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wrap each beet in a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle generously with olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper. Place the beets on a baking sheet and roast for 40 to 90 minutes, or until soft and fork-tender. The time will depend on the size and freshness of the beets.
- Remove the beets from the oven, remove the foil, and set aside to cool. When they are cool to the touch, peel the skins. I like to hold them under running water and slide the skins off with my hands.
- Let the beets cool and chill them in the fridge until ready to use.
- Assemble the salad with the greens, shallots, apples, walnuts, cheese, and microgreens, if using. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.
- Season with flaky sea salt and pepper and serve.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!