- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 2 (28 fluid ounce) cans whole San Marzano tomatoes (with juices)
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (or to taste)
- 12 leaves fresh basil (torn)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Add the oil, butter, and onion to a soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 5-7 minutes or until it’s lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic and Italian seasoning, followed by the tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes, covered, with the lid slightly ajar.
- Blend the soup (I like to use an immersion blender) until it’s smooth (you may want to let it cool a little bit first). Stir in the cream and basil and season with salt & pepper as needed.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!