- 4 large sweet potatoes uncooked or 6 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes
- 4-5 slices of ham chopped small
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheese mixture of Swiss and Gruyere works well
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a baking dish and set aside.
- To cook the potatoes, choose one of these methods: If you boil them, peel the potatoes and chop them in big cubes. Cook them in salted water until soft and a fork goes through them.
- If you bake them, then peel the potatoes and place them in the microwave. Cook them on high according to your microwave instructions for baked potatoes.
- When potatoes are cooked, mashed them and place them in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat up the oil and add the chopped ham. Cook for 4-5 minutes, then add the onion and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until golden brown, approximatelly 10 minutes. Stir in thyme and marjoram. Remove from heat.
- In the bowl with the potatoes, add the cooked ham and onion mixture, melted butter, 1 cup cheese, heavy cream, beaten egg, salt and pepper. Stir everything together.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared dish.
- Bake until heated through, for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese and bake until melted, approximately 5 minutes or more.
- Serve warm as a side dish.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!