- ¾ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 white onion, sliced into thin rings
- 2 qts. (2 lbs.) cubed watermelon
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 jalapeño chile, halved, seeded, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 8 ounces feta or cotija cheese, broken into chunks
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
Heat vinegar in a small saucepan over high heat until boiling. Add onion and cook, turning as needed, until it’s pink and most of vinegar is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Spoon onion out of pan, let cool slightly, then roughly chop.
Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add onion and toss just to combine.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!