- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups seltzer
- 2 large eggs
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- 12 ounces mixed precut vegetables
- Microwave 1 cup water and the bouillon cube in a microwave-safe glass measuring cup, 2 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce, mirin and sugar.
- Heat 2 inches peanut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until a deep-fry thermometer registers 380 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, whisk the flour, seltzer, eggs and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl until almost smooth.
- Add 1 cup ice cubes and stir until they just begin to melt. Put the cornstarch in a shallow dish. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Working in batches, dredge one-third of the shrimp and vegetables in the cornstarch, then dip in the batter to coat, letting the excess drip off. Fry until crisp and lightly golden, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the prepared baking sheet to drain. Let the oil return to 380 degrees F, then repeat with the remaining shrimp and vegetables.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!