- 15.25 ounce cake mix white, vanilla or yellow cake mix will work (1 box needed)
- 1 cup crushed pineapple do not drain, spoon from the can into the measuring cup
- ½ cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 3 large eggs room temperature
Pina Colada Filling
- 15 ounces cream of coconut not coconut cream and not coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk can be substituted
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 3.4 ounces instant coconut cream pudding mix vanilla or french vanilla instant pudding can be substituted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- ½ cup crushed pineapple well drained
- ⅔ cup toasted coconut for garnish (optional)
Prepare the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with square edges with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cake mix, crushed pineapple, vegetable oil and eggs. Beat with a hand mixer or stand mixer on low speed for about 30 seconds and then increase the speed to medium and continue mixing for another 2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top so the cake bakes up evenly.
- Bake for 28 to 33 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Using a fork, gently poke holes all over the cake. Try not to crumble the top of the cake the best you can.
Prepare the Pina Colada Filling
- Whisk together the cream of coconut, pineapple juice and rum extract in a medium size bowl. Slowly and carefully pour over the top of the cake allowing it to fill in the holes and absorb into the cake. Let the cake rest until the liquid is fully absorbed and the cake has completely cooled.
Pina Colada Frosting
- Combine pudding mix and milk in a large bowl and whisk until it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Add the whipped topping and fold in until no streaks remain. Add the pineapple (making sure it has been well drained) and fold into the mixture until evenly combined.
- Gently smooth the frosting over the top of the cooled cake with an offset spatula keeping it as even as possible. If you like, top the cake with toasted coconut. Cut and serve.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!