- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 16 ounces Spaghetti or penne pasta for serving
- Fresh basil for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook al dente according to package instructions; drain. Reserve ½ cup pasta water
- Heat the olive oil in a large deep saute pan. Add the beef and season with salt and pepper. Brown the beef and break it into smaller pieces with the back of a wooden spoon until cooked through.
- Add onions and garlic; and season with oregano, basil and crushed red pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until they soften.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato paste and pasta water. Mix to combine, bring mixture to a boil and then simmer on low covered for 30 minutes.
- Toss the pasta with the bolognese sauce and top with fresh basil, if desired.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!