Ingredients for Broth:
- 3 large scallions, trimmed
- 1 handful dried shiitake mushrooms, crushed (about 1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup crumbled dried seaweed, such as kombu or dulse (optional)
- 1 (1-inch) chunk of ginger, smashed and unpeeled
- 2 whole, unpeeled garlic cloves
- Stems or trimmings from fresh shiitake mushrooms (see below) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Soup:
- 1 pound dried udon noodles (or use fresh or frozen, cooked udon)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped leeks, white and pale green parts only
- 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced in 1/4-
- inch strips (save trimmings for broth)
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup mirin or dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups chopped bok choy
- ½ cup red or white miso
- 1 cup soft or medium tofu, cut in small cubes
- 4 scallions, finely chopped, for garnish
- Shichimi togarashi or crushed red-pepper flakes, for garnish
- Make the broth: In a large pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add scallion, dried mushrooms, seaweed (if using), ginger, garlic, fresh mushroom trimmings and salt. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook udon noodles until al dente, then drain, rinse well with cold water, and keep at room temperature.
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat and swirl to coat the bottom of the pot. Add leeks and sliced shiitake and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, mirin, sesame oil and soy sauce and cook for 1 minute. Turn heat to high, add reserved broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add bok choy and reserved noodles and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until greens are cooked and noodles are heated through. Gently stir in miso and tofu. Turn off heat.
- Using tongs, divide noodles among 4 to 6 bowls. Ladle hot soup over noodles. Sprinkle with scallions and serve. Pass togarashi
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!