- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 tsp. red food coloring
- In heavy-bottomed large saucepan or small pot, combine first 4 ingredients and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Cook, without stirring to hard-ball stage. (265 degrees.) Remove from heat and add peppermint extract.
- Divide into 2 portions, and add coloring to one part. Pour out onto buttered cookie sheets. (Pour half onto one sheet, then add coloring to the rest and then pour onto second sheet.) when it’s cool enough to handle, start pulling each part seperately. (Best done with 2 people, but if doing alone, go back and forth pulling each.) When you feel like you just can’t pull anymore, form into ropes and twist them together.
- Cut into 8″ lengths, form into the shape of candy canes, and place on lightly buttered platter til fully hardened.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!