- 3-4 large artichokes
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Clean and trim the artichokes and cut in half. Remove the choke.
- Boil a large pot of water with a steaming basket inside. Be sure that the water level doesn’t touch the bottom of the steaming basket. When water boils, place as many artichoke halves as you can fit into the basket in a single layer, exposed side down. Steam artichokes for around 25 minutes. You should be able to easily piece the artichoke heart with a knife after it’s been steamed.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Once steamed, remove from the water, brush some of the vinaigrette over the exposed parts of the artichokes and then transfer to a heated grill if you are grilling. Grill for 15 minutes over medium high heat until charred.
- Serve with remaining lemon basil vinaigrette drizzled over the top or served on the side for dipping.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!