- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 green chillies, de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 25g root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp ground turmeric
- 2tsp garam masala
- 6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Fresh flat leaf parsley or coriander and lemon slices to garnish
- Steamed basmati rice to serve
To make your chicken curry, place the onions, garlic, chillies and ginger in a food processor or blender (see That’s good to know). Add 3tbsp water and whizz until you have a textured paste.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion paste. Cook over a medium heat,, stirring for 3-4 mins then add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and garam masala. Cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes until the paste begins to turn golden.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 300ml water. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover and bring up to the boil. Stir in the chicken and lemon juice and re-cover.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the paste and tomatoes have combined to make a thick sauce (add a little more water if necessary during cooking).
- Serve straight away garnished with parsley or coriander with lemon slices and serve with steamed basmati rice.
Do you like what you see? Sign up for our weekly newsletter to get content like this every week!